STATESBORO, Ga. – Four runs in their first at bat propelled the 10th-ranked Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns Softball squad to a 6-3 win over Georgia Southern on Saturday at Eagle Field which clinched the series victory.
Louisiana (28-4, 11-0 Sun Belt) collected its 50th consecutive Sun Belt Conference series win, a streak which began in March 2013.
A patient approach at the plate led to three walks for the Ragin’ Cajuns in the opening frame and run-scoring singles from Raina O’Neal andKara Gremillion provided the bulk of the offense in the fast start.
Carrie Boswell worked six-plus innings in the circle and held the Eagles (16-17, 3-8 Sun Belt) without an earned run scored.
LEADING THE RAGIN’ CAJUNS
Gremillion paced Louisiana with a pair of RBI on her first-inning single which stretched the lead to 4-0.
Alissa Dalton played a factor in both of the Ragin’ Cajuns final two runs which turned into insurance runs. Her second run of the contest came during a rundown after a Sarah Hudek single in the second inning, upping the lead to 5-0, then her clutch, two-out RBI single in the third inning was the answer to a two-spot from the Eagles.
Louisiana drew a season-high 11 walks in the contest. Julie Rawls drew a game-high four walks and Dalton was issued three.
Boswell kept the Eagles from elevating the ball the entire contest as she induced 14 ground ball outs. Summer Ellyson recorded the final out after a two-out double extended the hosts’ final at bat, picking up her first save of the season.
- Louisiana’s pitching staff has worked 14 innings in the series and has yet to allow an earned run.
- With the win, Louisiana has now won nine straight road games and improved to 13-3 in all games away from Yvette Girouard Field at Lamson Park.
- The Ragin’ Cajuns four-spot in the first inning marked the 16th time this season the squad has placed a run on the scoreboard in the initial frame.
- Carrie Boswell made her third start of the season and pitched a season-high 6-2/3 innings. Boswell has worked 13-1/3 innings the past two weekends and earned three wins.
- Over the past two weeks, Alissa Dalton is batting .579 (11-for-19), has accounted for 10 runs and driven in six runs in two-out situations.
- Alissa Dalton extended her current hitting streak to eight games which is tied with Raina O’Neal and Julie Rawls for the longest streaks this season.
- Kara Gremillion started at third base for the 199th consecutive game. She has started every game since debuting with Louisiana in 2016.
- Now at 11-0 in Sun Belt play, the Ragin’ Cajuns are off to their best start in league play since the 2017 season (began 14-0 that season).
- Louisiana upped its all-time series lead over Georgia Southern to 14-2 and extended its series win streak at Eagle Field to five games.
No. 10 Louisiana and Georgia Southern return to Eagle Field on Sunday for the final game of the series in Statesboro. Due to anticipated afternoon showers, first pitch has been moved to 10 a.m. (CDT).
The action can be heard on SportsRadio ESPN 1420-AM and a live video stream will be available on ESPN+.
FOLLOW THE RAGIN’ CAJUNS
Follow the Ragin’ Cajuns on Facebook (/RaginCajunsSB), Twitter (@RaginCajunsSB) and Instagram (@Louisiana.SB) to stay up-to-date on all that is happening with Louisiana Softball.
SEASON TICKETS AVAILABLE
• Season tickets, beginning at $100, are available online at RaginCajuns.com using Account Manager, by calling the Louisiana Athletics Ticket Office at (337) 265-2170 or by visiting the ticket office in person Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., and extended hours during Ragin’ Cajuns basketball events.
• Fans who purchase season tickets receive priority access for any potential NCAA postseason games held at Lamson Park.
• For information on premium seating and parking at Lamson Park, contact the Ragin’ Cajuns Athletic Foundation (RCAF) at (337) 851-2903. General admission parking at Cajun Field will be free for all games during the 2019 season.