Carencro woman speaks out after husband denied testing, dies from COVID-19

Carencro woman speaks out after husband denied testing, dies from COVID-19
Posted at 10:55 PM, Apr 29, 2020
and last updated 2020-04-30 12:41:22-04

A Carencro woman is speaking out after her husband died from COVID-19.

Keenan Duffy, went to the Cajundome to be tested and was turned away, despite having symptoms and caring for his mother who was positive.

"If they're doing it to us they're doing to other people," said Duffy's wife, Kerstin Duffy.

In late March, Keenan Duffy's mother tested positive for COVID-19. He brought her to the hospital, days later he began feeling sick. On April 4th, we went to the Cajundome to get tested and was denied.

"He told them that he had been in close contact with someone who had the virus he was running fever and that he was diabetic. They told him that because he wasn't having shortness of breath he didn't the criteria," said Duffy.

Unable to get a test at the Cajundome, Kerstin called around St. Landry Parish and Keenan was tested that same day. He was quarantines at home and things got worse, even before his test results came back.

"I brought Keenan to Our Lady of Lourdes. He was coughing and stuff and his fever got to 103.6 degrees and I said no this is not working you need to get medical attention because your fevers are just getting higher. He got out of the truck and told me and my son I love you," said Duffy.

Duffy lost his battle with COVID-19 two days after being admitted to the hospital. Keenan's wife and their 11-year-old son, Kayden, both knew he was sick but they expected him to make a full recovery.

"It's just hard for him because he and his daddy spent a lot of time together, and I'm just sad because you know who's going to do all of
these things with me? I mean he has my dad my brothers uncle but it's not like having your dad," said Duffy.

Kerstin says she's angry, because the denial for testing at the Cajundome should have never happened. Although the outcome may have been the same in the end, but they wouldn't have to had stress and spend hours looking for somewhere else to go.

"It was hard for me because I couldn't be with him already," said Duffy.

Duffy's advises anyone who is having symptoms, not to stop until they are given a test somewhere.

"He's a healthy 39 year old man and he got the virus and wind up passing away from it in two weeks. I just need people to know that this is real this is happening to real families and to real people.
People need to know that this is what's actually going on."