GAINESVILLE, Fla. – A quick response to an early strike from 6th-ranked Florida led No. 7 Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns Softball to a 7-5 win which evened the weekend series between the two Top 10 programs at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.
The Ragin’ Cajuns (13-5), who entered the second inning trailing 4-0, loaded the bases with no outs. With an RBI single from Alissa Dalton, which resulted in two runs crossing the plate, and a Carrie Boswell two-run triple, the score was quickly evened at 4-all.
Kaitlyn Alderink kept the hit parade going as she punched an RBI single through the right side to score Boswell and give Louisiana a lead it wouldn’t relinquish.
Once given the lead, Summer Ellyson clamped down limiting the Gators to just two base runners from the second through sixth inning. During the stretch she retired 15 of the 17 batters that she faced to preserve the squad’s fourth win over a ranked team in the season’s first month.
Critical insurance runs were collected from a bases-loaded walk in the fourth inning and a Melissa Mayeux double in the seventh inning that set up a free run off a wild pitch.
The Gators (17-3) wound up plating an unearned run in the bottom of the seventh inning, but got no closer as Megan Kleist closed the door by retiring all three batters she faced.
The win for the Ragin’ Cajuns not only set up the winner-take-all series finale on Sunday, but provided the program with its first-ever win in Gainesville.
The four-run deficit was the largest overcome in the 2020 season, and the fourth come-from-behind win in the past seven days.
- Kaitlyn Alderink posted her team-leading fifth multiple-hit game with a 2-for-2 performance. Adding in two walks, she reached base in all four of her plate appearances.
- Saturday’s performance marked the third multiple-hit game for Kaitlyn Alderink over the past six games. She’s hitting 7-for-18 (.389) in the stretch, upping her average to a team-best .340.
- The key two-run triple, delivered in a pinch-hit situation, marked the first career triple for Carrie Boswell.
- Carrie Boswell’s two-run triple marked the second key pinch hit for Louisiana in the past two weeks. Last Sunday at UAB, Taylor Roman delivered an RBI single pinch hitting against UAB to pull Louisiana head 5-4.
- The RBI single from Alissa Dalton, which jumpstarted the second-inning rally, snapped a five-game streak without an RBI for the senior shortstop.
- Patience at the plate was key for the Ragin’ Cajuns, as the team drew seven walks – it’s third-highest total this season and the most allowed by the Gators’ pitching staff this season.
- Summer Ellyson collected her second win over a ranked team, adding to her Feb. 22 win over then-No. 8 Oklahoma State.
- The contest marked the fourth contest against a Top 10 opponent is as many games played this week (stretch began in Tuesday's doubleheader at Texas). Louisiana is 2-2 in the key RPI-boosting stretch.
- Megan Kleist recorded her second save in a Ragin’ Cajuns uniform. She also wrapped up the season-opening win over Ball State back on Feb. 7.
- For the season, the Ragin’ Cajuns are now 4-4 vs. ranked opponents, with splits against Louisiana State, Oklahoma State, Texas, and now Florida.
- Louisiana pulled back into a tie in the all-time series with Florida, which is now deadlocked at 6-6.
No. 7 Louisiana and No. 6 Florida will play for the series victory on Sunday, March 1 at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium. First pitch is slated for 11 a.m. (CST).
Radio coverage will be provided by SportsRadio ESPN 1420-AM in the Acadiana region and the ESPN 1420 mobile app worldwide. A live telecast, produced by SEC Network Plus, is available through WatchESPN.
FOLLOW THE RAGIN' CAJUNS
Follow the Ragin' Cajuns on Facebook (/RaginCajunsSB), Twitter (@RaginCajunsSB) and Instagram (@Louisiana.SB [instagram.com]) to stay up-to-date on all that is happening with Louisiana Softball.