LAFAYETTE — Louisiana Volleyball seeks to build upon a 2-0 start to the 2020 season as the squad embarks on the second weekend of play in the 2020 season, hosting South Alabama in a pair of matches Friday-Saturday, Sept. 11-12 at Earl K. Long Gym.
The Ragin’ Cajuns (2-0) and Jaguars (0-0) start the two-match series on Friday at 6:30 p.m., followed by a Noon matchup on Saturday. Both meetings between the two Sun Belt Conference members will be recorded as non-conference matches.
Louisiana is continuing its season-opening, six-match homestand which began with a sweep of Houston Baptist last weekend. It marked the first undefeated opening weekend since 2014.
The Matchup: Louisiana (2-0) vs. South Alabama (0-0)
Where: Lafayette, La. – Earl K. Long Gym
When: Friday, Sept. 11, 2020 – 6:30 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2020 – 12:00 p.m.
Due to facility capacity constraints, Louisiana Volleyball’s attendance policy for 2020 is that home matches will not be open to the general public.
Home and visiting teams will operate pass lists for admittance into Earl K. Long Gym, as spacing and safety protocols ahead of each event will allow.
- The contests with South Alabama are of the non-conference variety due to the Sun Belt Conference only counting divisional play toward the league standings in 2020.
- Dating back to the 2019 season, the Ragin' Cajuns have won six of the last seven matches contested at Earl K. Long Gym (with a 20-6 edge in sets won).
- Louisiana has the luxury of five key starters (Hali Wisnoskie, Avery Breaux, Kelsey Bennett, Tia Jade Smith, Hannah Ramirez) from last season's strong second-half finish to count on. The right side hitter position is the lone spot the team is seeking to shore up.
- Senior libero Hannah Ramirez averaged five-plus digs per set and was one dig shy of back-to-back 20-dig efforts in the Houston Baptist sweep, earning her the first Sun Belt Defensive Player of the Week award of the 2020 season.
- Sophomore Kara Barnes is quickly developing into a strong offensive threat in the middle for Louisiana. In the HBU sweep, Barnes landed 23 kills off only 40 swings and posted a .475 hitting percentage.
- Avery Breaux, last season’s team leader in double-doubles with 15, collected her first of the season only two matches in following a 44-assist, 17-dig effort last Saturday vs. HBU.
NUMBERS TO KNEAUX
2: Number of kills needed by Hali Wisnsokie to surpass Stacey Reilly for the program’s rally scoring era record for career kills.
4: Four freshmen made their collegiate debut for Louisiana last weekend: Abby Lynn, Taylor Gates, Maya Scott and Lauren Tishkoff.
13: Consecutive matches reaching double digits in kills for Hali Wisnoskie, a streak which dates back to last season (began Oct. 18, 2019).
20.7: Digs per set averaged by the Ragin’ Cajuns in last weekend’s sweep of Houston Baptist.
KNEAUX YOUR OPPONENT
- During the 2019 season, South Alabama finished second in the Sun Belt East Division and posted its first 20-win season since 1989.
- The Jaguars return seven letterwinners, led by senior outside hitter Meaghan Jones who was a second team All-Sun Belt selection. Jones has recorded 10 or more kills in five consecutive matches dating back to a Nov. 2 win over Appalachian State last season.
- This weekend’s play marks the start of the 2020 season for the Jaguars who are entering their second season under the guidance of head coach Alexis Meeks-Rydell.