BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Summer Ellyson picked up where she left off last season and No. 8 Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns Softball got the timely hit needed for a 1-0 victory over UAB to close out Day 1 of the 2021 season and the UAB Green and Gold Classic at Mary Bowers Field.
Ellyson yielded just three hits and struck out seven in the complete game shutout of the Blazers which extended her active streak of consecutive scoreless innings pitched to 18-1/3 innings dating back to 2020.
The senior hurler and her defense twice worked around a runner on third and one-out situation to protect the shutout, the last occurrence coming in the sixth inning.
Ciara Bryan came through with the game-winning RBI for Louisiana (2-0) in the third inning when she delivered a clutch two-out single to break a scoreless tie.
From that point on it turned into a pitcher’s duel between Ellyson and UAB’s Amy Woodham.
The Blazers (3-3) placed the tying run on the base path in the seventh inning after a leadoff single, then Louisiana came up with its biggest defensive play of the night. The runner would not get into scoring position as Julie Rawls connected with Alissa Dalton for a caught stealing and the next two batters were retired to bring the game to a close.
Combined with an 8-2 win over Jacksonville State earlier in the day, the Ragin’ Cajuns completed an undefeated Opening Day to start the 2021 season.
- Summer Ellyson collected the 19th complete game shutout of her collegiate career.
- It was the 75th career win for Summer Ellyson (now 75-17) moving her within nine wins from joining the program’s Top 5 list.
- Two games in a Ragin’ Cajuns uniform and Ciara Bryan has at least one RBI each outing. Bryan has posted at least one RBI in 19 of the last 30 games she’s competed in.
- Kaitlyn Alderink extended her streak of consecutive games started at second base to 207. Alderink (4 assists) was responsible for half of the Ragin’ Cajuns fielding assists.
- In addition to stranding a runner at third twice in the contest, Summer Ellyson did not yield a single hit to the Blazers with runners on base (0-for-9) and in scoring position (0-for-7).
UP NEXTNo. 8 Louisiana closes out its season-opening weekend and concludes play at the UAB Green and Gold Classic on Sunday. The Ragin’ Cajuns meet Southeastern Louisiana at 10 a.m. and are scheduled for a rematch with UAB at 3 p.m.
Ragin' Cajuns fans can follow along with the action on SportsRadio ESPN 1420-AM. Live video of the game with UAB will be available through CUSA.TV.
FOLLOW THE RAGIN' CAJUNSFollow the Ragin' Cajuns on Facebook (/RaginCajunsSB [facebook.com]), Twitter (@RaginCajunsSB [twitter.com]) and Instagram (@Louisiana.SB [instagram.com]) to stay up-to-date on all that is happening with Louisiana Softball.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers