LAFAYETTE – No. 10 Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns Softball captured a Sun Belt series victory and Keeli Milligan became the single-season stolen bases leader on Friday in a 12-3 (5 inn.) win over Georgia State at Yvette Girouard Field at Lamson Park.
Milligan picked up the record swipe in a four-run second inning which sent the Ragin’ Cajuns (41-4, 20-0 Sun Belt) on to the victory. It was her 52nd stolen base of the season which eclipses the previous mark of 51 recorded by Dorsey Steamer back in 1992.
Louisiana, which drew seven walks in the contest, used the patience at the plate to string together big innings in the next two at bats, plating eight runs over the third and fourth inning to put the Panthers (7-39, 4-16 Sun Belt) away.
The Ragin’ Cajuns, courtesy of Thursday’s 10-2 win giving them the series lead, extended their nation-leading streak of consecutive conference series won to 53 straight.
LEADING THE RAGIN’ CAJUNS
Julie Rawls and Kara Gremillion led Louisiana with two RBI apiece. The duo lifted sacrifice flies to the outfield in the second inning which brought home three runs extending the lead to 4-0.
Kourtney Gremillion (2-for-2, 2 runs, stolen base) and Sarah Hudek (2-for-2, 2 runs, RBI) collected multiple-hit games. Gremillion’s steal of second in the third inning led to a misplay which triggered a three-run inning that increased the advantage to 7-0.
Hudek ignited a five-run, two-out rally in the fourth inning with a solo home run. It was her 10th homer of the season, tying her for the team-lead with Rawls and extending her career-best total.
Casidy Chaumont and Lexie Comeaux joined (Kourtney) Gremillion and Hudek in game-high scoring honors with two runs. Eight different Ragin’ Cajuns scored at least one run.
Summer Ellyson recorded eight strikeouts in her four innings of work and yielded only two hits to the visitors in capturing her nation-leading 28th win.
- Dorsey Steamer was in attendance and congratulated Keeli Milligan on taking hold of the stolen base record during the postgame festitivies.
- Summer Ellyson increased her strikeout total for the week to 33 over 14-2/3 innings. Friday’s total increased her season count to 251 (personal single-season best).
- Summer Ellyson is now six strikeouts shy of recording the 500th of her career.
- Sarah Hudek extended her hitting streak to nine games. It’s her season-high streak and the second-longest by a Ragin’ Cajun in 2019 (Alissa Dalton had a 12-game streak).
- The multiple-hit game was Sarah Hudek’s 14th of the season, tying her with Alissa Dalton and Julie Rawls for the team lead.
- The two RBI recorded by Kara Gremillion pushed her career total over the century mark. The senior third baseman now owns 101 career RBI.
- Louisiana stretched its all-time series lead over Georgia State to 27-3. That includes a 16-1 mark in Sun Belt Conference regular season games.
- The Ragin’ Cajuns current streak advanced to 18 games, increasing the team’s season-best run. Gerry Glasco’s squad has the nation’s second-longest active win streak trailing Oklahoma’s present 30-game run.
No. 10 Louisiana and Georgia State conclude the Easter Weekend series on Saturday. First pitch from Yvette Girouard Field at Lamson Park is set for 1 p.m.
Fans can view the contest at RaginCajuns.com/Watch or listen on SportsRadio ESPN 1420-AM in the Acadiana area and the ESPN 1420 app worldwide.
FOLLOW THE RAGIN’ CAJUNS
Follow the Ragin’ Cajuns on Facebook (/RaginCajunsSB), Twitter (@RaginCajunsSB) and Instagram (@Louisiana.SB) to stay up-to-date on all that is happening with Louisiana Softball.