LAFAYETTE – A late-game push, which broke a tie, was the difference as 21st-ranked Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns Softball fell 5-2 to No. 23 Texas State in the Sun Belt Conference Tournament championship game at Lamson Park.
After swapping two-run innings early on, the Ragin’ Cajuns (38-14) and Bobcats (42-14) played to a stalemate until a miscue in the fifth inning resulted in the go-ahead run crossing for the visitors.
Texas State gained insurance in the sixth inning when a two-run home run from Haleigh Davis created the final margin.
Louisiana, playing in the SBC Tournament title game for the 17th time in the 19-year history of the event, was represented on the all-tournament team by pitcher Summer Ellyson, third baseman Kara Gremillion and outfielder Kelli Martinez.
No. 21 Louisiana, expected to receive an at large berth, awaits to learn its assignment for the NCAA Championship. The field of 64 teams will be announced Sunday, May 13 at 9 p.m. (CDT) on ESPN2, with NCAA Regional play to begin the following weekend.
LEADING THE RAGIN’ CAJUNS
Casidy Chaumont delivered a pair of doubles and drove home both of the Ragin’ Cajuns runs on the first double.
Kayln Watts (2-for-3) joined Chaumont in producing a two-hit game. She singled and took second base after a leadoff double from Kourtney Gremillion in the second inning, setting up Chaumont’s two-run double that tied the game.
Ellyson started for the third straight day and kept the Cajuns within striking distance until the insurance-providing home run. Only three of the runs charged to her were earned runs.
Casey Dixon closed the game in the circle and tossed 1-2/3 innings of scoreless relief.
– For the third straight season, Louisiana and Texas State met in the Sun Belt Tournament championship game.
– Louisiana’s all-time Sun Belt Tournament record now stands at 58-9.
– Summer Ellyson recorded her 26th start (out of 29 total) holding an opponent to three earned runs or less.
– Summer Ellyson yielded just four earned runs in 19-1/3 innings of work in the Sun Belt Tournament. Since April 15, the sophomore hurler sports a 1.00 ERA over 84-1/3 innings.
– Casidy Chaumont’s two doubles marked her single-game best and increased her season total to 11. She’s now tied with Alissa Dalton for the team lead.
– Ragin’ Cajuns hitters struck out only four times the entire Sun Belt Conference Tournament weekend – made 81 plate appearances.
– Senior Kelli Martinez led the team with a .375 average and three runs scored in her final Sun Belt Conference Tournament.
FOLLOW THE RAGIN’ CAJUNS
Follow the Ragin’ Cajuns on Twitter (@RaginCajunsSB) and Facebook (/RaginCajunsSB) to stay up-to-date on all that is happening with Louisiana Softball.