LAFAYETTE – 21st-ranked Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns Softball split a doubleheader with No. 24 Texas State on Sunday as the teams opened a Sun Belt Conference series at Lamson Park.
An eight-inning pitcher’s duel in Game 1 ended in the Bobcats’ favor as the visitors snapped a scoreless tie in the extra frame and claimed a 4-0 decision.
The Ragin’ Cajuns (27-11, 13-4 Sun Belt) responded with two runs in their first at bat of Game 2 and were paced by three RBI from Kourtney Gremillion in a 5-1 triumph that evened the series.
Louisiana’s offense produced 20 hits in the doubleheader and the pitching staff held Texas State (31-9, 12-1 Sun Belt) to one run in regulation play.
The Sun Belt Conference’s two nationally ranked programs are set to play the rubber game of the series on Monday at 11 a.m. Admission is free.
Fans can hear the game on SportsRadio ESPN 1420-AM in the Acadiana region and worldwide on the ESPN 1420 app. A live video stream, produced by the Ragin’ Cajuns Digital Network, will be available at RaginCajuns.com/Watch.
THE BASICS OF GAME 1
Neither team pushed across a run in regulation as the Sun Belt’s ERA leaders Summer Ellyson (LA) and Randi Rupp (TXST) engaged in a classic pitcher’s duel.
Ellyson had the smoother path to extra innings, holding the Bobcats hitless through the fifth inning and yielding just one hit. Rupp worked her way out of scoring threats from the Ragin’ Cajuns in the fourth, fifth and seventh innings.
Texas State was able to break the scoreless battle in the initial extra inning when Brianna Sannem delivered a pinch-hit, two-out RBI double. Hailey MacKay followed with a three-run homer to provide additional insurance.
Alissa Dalton, Kourtney Gremillion and Brittany Rodriguez each went 2-for-4 at the plate leading Louisiana to nine hits, tying for the most hits Rupp has allowed this season.
Ellyson struck out eight and limited Texas State to five hits.
THE BASICS OF GAME 2
Louisiana wasted no time in responding to the hard-luck defeat, stringing together five hits in the first inning off Texas State starter Meagan King. Runs scored on back-to-back, two-out singles from Lexie Comeaux and Jolie Readeaux for a quick 2-0 lead.
Texas State picked a run up off a bloop two-out single in the second inning, then the middle frames saw Kylee Jo Trahan and King swap zeroes.
The Ragin’ Cajuns gave Trahan breathing room in the sixth inning, upping the lead to 4-1 after Comeaux and Readeaux led off with singles and scored off Kourtney Gremillion’s double.
Trahan scattered five hits and struck out six over seven innings in earning the victory in her first Sun Belt Conference start of the season.
The Ragin’ Cajuns 3-4-5-6 hitters dominated the contest finishing a combined 8-for-12 at the plate. Leading the way was Kourtney Gremillion (2-for-3, double, 3 RBI) who picked up her second multiple hit game of the day.
– Kourtney Gremillion turned in a 4-for-7, three RBI showing in the doubleheader. The performance comes on the heels of a 4-for-4, two RBI outing at Southeastern Louisiana on Wednesday.
– Alissa Dalton extended her season-best hitting streak to 11 games. During the streak, which dates back to South Alabama series opener (March 30), Dalton is batting .439 (18-of-41).
– Summer Ellyson reached five strikeouts for the eighth consecutive start.
– Since returning to action on April 4 after resting from arm soreness, Kylee Jo Trahan has worked 18-2/3 innings and yielded just three runs (two earned) and 14 hits.
– Kourtney Gremillion’s three RBI extended her season total to 18, leaving her two shy of becoming the fifth Ragin’ Cajun to reach 20 RBI.
– Louisiana’s 11 hits in Game 2 marked the fifth time in the past six games the squad has hit double figures.
– During the recent six-game stretch of increased productivity, the Ragin’ Cajuns are hitting .358 and have totaled 73 hits of which 18 have gone for extra bases (12 doubles, triple, five home runs).
– The Ragin’ Cajuns 20 hits marked the most Texas State’s pitching staff has allowed in a Sun Belt Conference doubleheader this season.