After losing five family members to carbon monoxide poisoning, a Louisiana native is making sure no one else falls victim to the deadly gas.
Brundidge's relatives made it through Hurricane Laura last August, but says the next day a gust of wind blew the garage door shut, trapping a generator and its fumes inside and killing the family.
After Sheletta Brundidge lost her loved ones, she knew she never wanted anyone to feel the pain she and her relatives felt.
Now she is bringing awareness to having carbon monoxide detectors.
"I was just crying thinking about my aunt, my cousins, and this loss for my father. He lost two siblings at once," she explained. "I heard my aunt's voice say, 'Don't go down there and grieve, go down there and give.'"
The tragic loss is now motivating Sheletta Brundidge to help others.
Brundidge, a Lake Charles native, now lives in Minnesota, but that isn't stopping her from visiting her hometown.
Along with hosting donation drives, she’s doing her part to prevent another CO death from happening again. She's teamed up with First Alert to give away CO detectors for families who can't afford them.
"They just don't have the money for extras and right now for some carbon monoxide detectors is an extra. When they don't that's where I come in. I'm so glad that the people at first alert trusted me enough with their product to send it to me to give it away to the people who needed them," Brundidge explained.
She's created a PSA with the Minnesota Fire Marshal’s office on the importance of carbon monoxide detectors.
"I don't want anybody to go through what my family went through," said Brundidge.
Brundidge says she plans to continue her efforts to spread awareness.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers