NewsSt. Mary Parish


UPDATE: Man booked with aggravated assault; hand grenade wasn't live

st. mary sheriff badge_blue background.jpg
Posted at 8:39 AM, Sep 20, 2022
and last updated 2022-09-20 14:03:40-04

St. Mary Parish Sheriff's deputies have released some details in the investigation that led to a bomb scare Monday night.

Yesterday, part of Centerville was roped off when a suspected explosive device was found. It was later found to be safe, and the all-clear was given. Today, deputies provided some information about what happened.

Javier Castro Jr., 34, of Franklin was booked with aggravated assault with a firearm in connection with the incident that led to the discovery of what appeared to be a hand grenade.

Deputies were dispatched to a residence on Chandra Lane after someone called to say a man was threatening to shoot a woman with a gun. When they got there, they found Castro who was trying to leave in a truck.

During the investigation, a handgun was found, and Castro was booked.

Detectives obtained and executed a search warrant at the house, and found what appeared to be a hand grenade. Public safety protocols were implemented, and the U.S. Army dispatched an Explosive Ordinance Disposal team to the location.

The U.S. Army EOD team x-rayed the device and found the fuse was inoperable. They also determined that the device had no explosive contents. The device was removed without incident.

The sheriff's office thanks the Franklin Fire Department, Centerville Fire Department, Berwick Police Department, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, and the U.S. Army Explosive Ordinance Disposal for their assistance.

Earlier Monday, St. Mary Parish Sheriff's deputies asked the public to avoid the Chandra Lane area in Centerville after a possible explosive device was found.

During an active investigation at a residence on Chandra Lane, detectives found a possible explosive device.

Working in conjunction with the Franklin Fire Department, Centerville Fire Department, and in contact with the Louisiana State Police, safety protocols were implemented while first responders worked the scene.

To preserve the public’s safety, the area was blocked off.