Parents, employees and students protested outside of the school board on Friday.
Last week, the St. Landry School Board voted to move into their Phase Two plan, in which some students will learn in-person, some will learn in a hybrid model, and some have the option of learning completely virtual. Click here to read more on that.
The protesters have a list of demands they want filled to carry on the school year.
Below is their list of demands:
1. Need to reinstate the VLA as it was implemented on September 8, 2020.
2. No virtual learning system changes.
3. Hire/contract professional company to inspect internet systems and perform necessary upgrades and maintenance.
4. Hire/contract medical professional(s) to oversee isolation rooms for employees/students exhibiting signs of COVID-19.
5. Hire contract professional, environmental cleaning services company to disinfect schools parish wide on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
6. Screening students before they enter the school buses and/or a system to ensure enforcement of screening of students before entering school buses.
7. Request that Superintendent Jenkins consult with local pediatricians Dr. Carmen Johnson and Dr. Mia Ben on the plan to go forward with the 2020-2021 school year, and to include expert scientific and medical opinion of local physicians, as it relates to the reopening of the 2020-2021 school year.
8. Consult with the St. Landry Parish Office of Homeland Security Emergency Preparedness. The St. Landry Parish Office of Homeland Security Emergency Preparedness coordinates activates activities of workers engaged in preparing for or combating disaster situations and negotiates with civil and professional leaders to develop and implement survival plans in accord with local needs, and federal and state policies. Participants and development of emergency planning in cooperation with business, governments and other community leaders. Coordinates, Civil Defense public information program in community or region and instructs workers and techniques for pamphlets speeches and radio scripts to inform public of preparedness measures.
9. Facemask required for all students and employees of St. Landry Parish School System.
10. Demand that Superintendent Jenkins redact and reassess his decision to reopen schools and st Landry parish immediately, the stake holders/parents need to be engaged and involved in all decisions made by the superintendent of St. Landry Parish regarding the most prized and valued possessions, our children.
11. Demand that St. Landry Parish School Board propose and implement a parent representatives for each of the 13 districts, comprising and making up the st Landry parish school board, the stake holders, parents deserve to have representation in this entire process.
12. Demand that the st Landry parish school board schedule an emergency meeting ASAP to redact the previous vote to reopen schools in St. Landry Parish, and to reinstitute the nine-week Virtual Learning Academy program effective immediately.
KATC's Chris Welty will have more tonight at 6.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers