A new historical marker will be placed in the community of Henry in Vermilion Parish.
The marker will be placed on Hwy 330 in front of the property where Henry High School was located. The public is invited to attend the ceremony, which takes place on December 29 at 3:30 p.m.
One side of the marker will display the history of the Catholic Church of Henry. The other side will tell the history of the high school, which was established in 1877.
Henry High School was the first high school in Vermilion Parish and graduated its first student, J.H. Williams, in 1900, according to a release by the Acadian Museum of Erath.
Mr. Williams returned to the school as principal and later became superintendent of Vermilion Parish schools, serving for more than 30 years.
The church was built in Bancker, which was the center of four plantations on the Vermilion River. Its first pastor was Fr. F.C. Elast. Hurricane Rita caused damage to the church in 2005, and over $1,000,000 was raised by Christians worldwide to restore the church. In an effort to prevent future flooding, the church was raised nine feet, three inches off the ground.
For more information, visit acadianmuseum.com.