Around midnight on Monday night, the Lafayette Fire Department responded to a call of a reported fireplace fire on Larkspur Lane.
According to Fire Chief Alton Trahan, the fire was reported to 911 by a passerby who noticed flames coming from the exterior of the fireplace. He notified the occupants of the home and called emergency officials.
The side of the townhouse was in flames when firefighters arrived. The fire was contained within 10 minutes. Damage was mostly to the exterior of the home; the inside sustained smoke and water damage, while the attic had minor damage.
Chief Trahan said the homeowners lit the fireplace about an hour prior to the fire being noticed. They were unaware that the structure had caught fire. Thanks to the quick action of the passerby, no injuries were reported.
Fire officials believe the wood structure around the chimney ignited. It was an accidental fire, said Trahan, but further investigation will be conducted to figure out the cause.