Lafayette firefighters responded this morning shortly after 2 a.m. to Willow Park Apartments at 1408 W. Willow Street, for an apartment fire.
According to Alton Trahan, Investigator and PIO with the Lafayette Fire Department, the fire was reported by a neighbor when he noticed smoke coming from the apartment.
Firefighters arrived at the complex and conducted a search. The apartment was filled with smoke due to a smoldering fire in the living room.
The occupant was found inside unconscious.
The tenant was immediately transported to a local hospital by Acadian Ambulance, where she remains in critical condition.
Fire investigators determined the fire originated in the living room. The source of the fire is suspected to be smoking material. There were no operating smoke detectors in the apartment.
Fire officials are continuing to investigate.