NewsLocal NewsLafayette Parish

Actions

Friday afternoon fire damages duplex, no injuries reported

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 9:44 PM, Apr 03, 2020
and last updated 2020-04-03 22:44:21-04

The Lafayette Fire Department responded on Friday afternoon to an apartment fire on East Simcoe Street.

PIO Alton Trahan said that the department received a call at 3:38 this afternoon, and arrived to find the laundry room of a duplex apartment building on fire. The flames were quickly spreading to the attic of the building.

Firefighters were able to get the fire under control within fifteen minutes. Despite quick suppression operations, the laundry room, attic, and roof area above the laundry sustained heavy fire damage.

The apartment where the fire originated was not occupied, but the adjacent one by a family of four.

No injuries were reported in the fire.

The Housing Authority has relocated the family to another unit due to the damages.

Fire officials determined the fire originated in the laundry room. Investigators believe the fire may have been started by kids playing in the empty room. The investigation is ongoing.