Businesses and professional partners that live and work in Lafayette Parish are inviting 7th and 8th grade students in the parish to participate in a Litter Prevention Essay Contest.
Cornerstone Financial Group believes that litter has been a problem for years in Lafayette Parish and are asking young people to help find ways to make our part of the state beautiful again.
All 7th and 8th grade students attending school in Lafayette Parish are eligible to participate.
All essays must be returned to the child's teacher before October 31st in order to be eligible for a prize. The winner's school will receive $1,000.
The student who writes the winning essay will receive a $250 prize. The three student runners up will receive $100 each.
Official Contest Rules:
Entry should be type written, double spaced and not be more than 1,500 words
· Essays must be originals, written by the students who submit them. Papers that have been previously submitted to other competitions are not eligible for consideration.
· The submitting student and parent (or guardian) must sign the entry form.
· The student's name must only appear on the back of each page of the essay
· Entry form and release must accompany each student's essay, in order to be eligible
· The student's name must not appear on the title page or on the front of any of the pages of the essay.
· The title of your essay must appear on the first page.
· Your essay must be an original.
· Your essay will be graded on content, organization, punctuation and should address the following:
1) How litter negatively impacts communities and the people living within those communities
2) Causes of litter,
3) Advantages of the people within those areas working together to clean up and beautify their communities,
4) How can this be done: What is the first step? How can we mobilize citizens and government to join together to solve our litter problem, and
5) The benefits realized by our citizens from a successful litter abatement initiative.
All essays, along with signed entry forms must be received by your 7th or 8th grade teacher before October 31st . Three essays will be selected from each participating school and delivered to the Cornerstone Financial Group, Inc. prior to November 8th. The judges will select the winning essay and three finalists. Awards will be presented during the first quarter of 2020.
A completed official entry form and release must accompany each entry. One entry from each class will be selected and submitted to:
Cornerstone Financial Group, Inc.
213 N. College Road
Lafayette, LA 70506-4230
(337) 233-6066, ext. 131
Fax: (337) 889-3353
All entries MUST be postmarked or received by noon on November 15th, 2019.
Download the official entry form below.