NewsLafayette Parish

Actions

LCG: Lafayette is near state benchmark for reopening on May 15

LCG
Posted at 11:13 AM, Apr 30, 2020
and last updated 2020-04-30 17:36:52-04

LAFAYETTE, La. — On Thursday, April 30, Lafayette Consolidated Government held a media briefing to discuss the ongoing COVID-19 public health emergency.

Lafayette Mayor-President Josh Guillory said that Lafayette Parish has done well overall in its efforts to respond to COVID-19.

"While we have a ways to go, we are ahead of the curve in our parish on testing," said Guillory. “With nearly 9,000 tests completed, we are over 3.5%, and nearing the suggested benchmark of 4%, which is the statewide milestone for reopening on May 15.”

Guillory said that Lafayette had also been ahead of the curve on testing, which he said was at 3.5%. He said Lafayette was near the state benchmark of 4% for reopening on May 15.

Guillory also said that Lafayette was ahead of the curve on helping local businesses on reopening safely under the Safe Shop Policy.

Guillory said that the policy's occupancy requirement of 25% of a building's capacity seemed to influence a similar requirement in Gov. John Bel Edwards' next extension of the Stay-At-Home Order.

Guillory also suggested that the policy's 25% capacity requirement may carry over to local restaurants when they are ready to reopen.

Guillory said that LCG was being cautious with its reopening plan to avoid a potential "second wave" of the virus hitting the region.

Another potential issue that businesses could face is liability, added Guillory. Liability is hanging over the economy where businesses could be sued if they reopen and employees and customers could get sick, he said. Guillory said he expects the issue to be taken up by the U.S. Congress.

Guillory said he urged residents to properly dispose of their used masks and gloves in clearly marked disposal areas and not litter parking lots and other public spaces with discarded protective items.

Guillory said he is continuing to work with local business leaders under federal guidelines and state mandates on reopening. He said that 85% of local businesses are working to safely reopen, but was waiting on guidance from the state to help the remaining 15% reopen, such as restaurants, spas and salons.

No press conference was held on Wednesday, April 29.

At noon on Thursday, the Louisiana Department of Health was reporting 455 coronavirus cases and 20 deaths in Lafayette Parish.

Lafayette has four new cases today with zero deaths. They have the highest number of reported cases with 455. After an increase of two deaths on Tuesday, there have been no new deaths added. Lafayette has 20 deaths overall.

To see a breakdown of Wednesday's cases by parish: COVID-19 cases and deaths remain steady in Acadiana

The Louisiana Department of Health updates statewide numbers at noon each day.

To see the latest from LDH, click here.

------------------------------------------------------------
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.

Download our free app for Apple, Android, Roku and Amazon devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers

Alexa's Daily Flash Briefing

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Instagram

Subscribe to our Youtube channel