NewsCovering Louisiana

Actions

State Fire Marshal’s Office shares carbon monoxide safety tips

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 9:43 AM, Nov 19, 2020
and last updated 2020-11-19 10:43:22-05

BATON ROUGE, La. - The Louisiana State Fire Marshal's Office shares safety tips on carbon monoxide, or CO.

Carbon monoxide, often referred to as “the invisible killer,” is an odorless, colorless gas created when fuels like gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil and methane are actively burning. In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel can be sources of carbon monoxide.

Some CO hazards are:

  • Clogged exhaust pipes for dryers, furnaces, stoves, water heaters and fireplaces
  • Running a vehicle inside of an enclosed garage, even if the garage door is open
  • Operating a portable generator in an enclosed space or near a window, door or vent

When it comes to avoiding CO hazards associated with fuel-burning, heating appliances, have that equipment, including chimneys, inspected by a professional every year before cold weather sets in. And when using a fireplace, make sure the flue is open for adequate ventilation. Never use your oven to heat your home.

If you don’t already have a carbon monoxide monitor for your home, it is strongly advised to get one. Getting a combination carbon monoxide monitor and smoke alarm is even better. Once you have a CO alarm, follow these recommendations for best placement locations around your home:

  • Have at least one alarm installed on every level of the home with fuel burning appliances
  • Ideally, you’ll want an alarm located outside of each sleeping area
  • Place alarms 5-20 feet from sources of CO like furnaces, water heaters and fireplaces.
  • Make sure the alarm is free of obstructions and adverse environmental conditions that can occur near windows or doors
  • Follow manufacturer’s instructions on additional placement and mounting height recommendations

If your alarm sounds, check the batteries to ensure they are in working condition. If the alarm still sounds, exit the home and call the fire department.

------------------------------------------------------------
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Instagram

Subscribe to our Youtube channel