The Louisiana Department of Health recommends that private water well owners whose wells flood should assume their well water is contaminated until screened. Owners must first disinfect affected water wells, then thoroughly flush before a sample of water is collected for analysis by the laboratory.
Until the water is confirmed to be negative for coliform bacteria, it should not be used for potable purposes. Before receiving results from the laboratory, use bottled water or some other safe supply of water.
The Department is still offering free bacteriological testing (total coliforms and E. coli) to private drinking water well owners. There are a limited number of kits available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Sampling supplies and instructions on disinfecting, flushing and how to collect the sample are currently available for pick-up and drop-off at the locations below.
- Beauregard Parish Health Unit, 216 Evangeline St., DeRidder (kit pick-up and drop-off)
- Sample drop-off: Tuesday before 8:30 a.m.
- Calcasieu Environmental Health, 901 Lakeshore Drive, 4th Floor, Lake Charles (pick-up only)
- Monday through Friday: 8 a.m.-9:30 a.m. and 3 p.m.-4 p.m.
- Jefferson Davis Parish Health Unit, 403 Baker St., Jennings (kit pick-up and drop-off)
- Sample drop-off: Monday before 10:15 a.m. and Thursday before 9:45 a.m.
- Emergency schedule: Monday through Thursday before 12:30 p.m.
- Lake Charles Regional Office, 707A East Prien Lake Road, Lake Charles (kit pick-up and drop-off)
- Sample drop-off: Monday: 8:15 a.m., Tuesday, 7 a.m., Wednesday: 6:30 a.m., Thursday: 8:30 a.m.
- Rapides Parish Regional Water Laboratory, 5604-A Coliseum Blvd., Room A102, Alexandria (drop-off only)
- Sample drop-off: Monday through Thursday before 2:30 p.m.
For more information on private well water testing, click here [t.e2ma.net].
For more information or guidance on testing, call 1-888-293-7020.