NewsCovering Louisiana


LDH confirms two winter storm-related deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning

Statewide death toll now 5
Louisiana Department of Health releases maternal mortality data and recommendations to guide improvements
Posted at 12:37 PM, Feb 20, 2021
and last updated 2021-02-20 13:38:23-05

The Louisiana Department of Health on Saturday confirmed two additional deaths tied to this week's winter storm, bringing the statewide death toll to 5.

According to LDH, a 68-year-old man and a 44-year-old woman in Avoyelles Parish died of carbon monoxide poisoning after a generator was placed in the camper in which they were staying.

The parish coroner has confirmed these deaths are considered storm-related.

The 5 deaths LDH has confirmed to date are:

  • 68-year-old male, Avoyelles Parish, carbon monoxide from improper generator usage
  • 44-year-old female, Avoyelles Parish, carbon monoxide from improper generator usage

Generator safety

Portable generators should never be used indoors. This includes in a garage, carport, basement, crawl space or other enclosed or partially enclosed area, even those with ventilation.

Gas-powered generators produce carbon monoxide which is odorless and colorless. Inhaling carbon monoxide can very quickly lead to full incapacitation or death.

Opening windows or doors or using fans will not prevent the build-up of carbon monoxide. If you start to feel sick, dizzy or weak while using a generator, get to fresh air immediately.

Generators should be placed outside, more than 20 feet away from the home, doors, windows and vents that could allow carbon monoxide to come indoors. Do not refuel when hot.
The generator should be kept dry and should not be used in wet conditions.

Heating safety

Make sure that your heating system has been properly serviced and is clean, working properly and ventilated to the outside. If you are going to use a fireplace or chimney, be sure that they are also inspected and cleaned.

Do not use gas or electric ovens or stoves for heating. A gas oven may go out or burn inefficiently, leading to carbon monoxide poisoning, and electric ovens were not designed for space heating.

Do not burn outdoor barbecue materials indoors, even in a fireplace.

Be sure that you have a working smoke detector and a carbon monoxide detector.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain and confusion.

Space heater safety

If you are using a space heater to heat your home, make sure to follow these steps:

Put your space heater on the floor and leave it there.
Keep it away from water.

Keep it at least 3 feet away from anything flammable. This includes curtains, furniture and walls.

Never leave the space heater unattended in a room.

Plug the space heater directly into the wall and not a surge protector.

Additional tips

Check on your neighbors, especially the elderly, whenever temperatures drop.

Be sure to protect any outdoor pipes, bring in any plants or pets, and take other necessary precautions.

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Instagram

Subscribe to our Youtube channel