Beginning on Labor Day, September 2 and ending on September 6, Louisiana will participate in Voter Registration Week.
The Secretary of State's Office and Registrars of Voters across the state will host activities with the aim of registering those eligible to vote in the upcoming election.
The next regularly scheduled election in Louisiana is the Gubernatorial General election on October 12.
Registration can be done online via the state's voter registration portal. The Secretary of State's Office says that Louisiana was one of the first states in the nation to implement the use of the portal.
Those wanting to register can access the portal at this link: voterportal.sos.la.gov
Residents of Louisiana can also register in person at their parish Registrar of Voters Office, when they apply for or renew their driver’s license at any Office of Motor Vehicles or when obtaining services at public assistance agencies and Armed Forces recruitment offices.
Citizens wishing to register by mail can download and print the application from our website at GeauxVote.com, or complete an application found at public libraries or through registration drives.
According to the Secretary of State's Office, to register and vote in Louisiana individuals must:
- be a U.S. citizen;
- be at least 17 years old (16 years old if registering in person at the Registrar of Voters Office or at the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles) to register and 18 years old prior to the next election to vote;
- not be under an order of imprisonment for conviction of a felony or, if under such an order not have been incarcerated pursuant to the order within the last five years and not be under an order of imprisonment related to a felony conviction for election fraud or any other election offense pursuant to La. R.S. 18:1461.2;
- not be under a judgment of full interdiction for mental incompetence or partial interdiction with suspension of voting rights;
- be a resident in the state and parish in which you seek to register and vote;
- apply at least 20 days prior to an election if registering online or 30 days prior to an election if registering in person or by mail.
The deadline to register to vote in person or by mail is Wednesday, Sept. 11. The deadline to register to vote online is Saturday, Sept. 21.