New Orleans city officials spoke to the media around 12:30 this afternoon to provide an update on the controlled demolition of the cranes looming over the collapsed Hard Rock Hotel near the French Quarter.
Fire Chief Tim McConnell confirmed that the controlled demolition that was tentatively planned for sometime after noon today will in fact not take place today, but at the soonest, around noon on Sunday.
McConnell said that once crews got closer to the damaged cranes, they realized the cranes were more damaged than originally thought. He said because of this, crews will have to "change how they take it down," and the process will take longer to accomplish.
Mayor Latoya Cantrell added that the Krewe De Boo parade that was canceled earlier this morning will take place on a modified route at 6:30 p.m. this evening.
Officials said they will remain in contact with residents and those who want information should visit ready.nola.gov.
Updates will also be provided on NOLA Ready's Twitter.
Once officials receive a definitive time for the demolition, evacuation notices and areas will be released four hours prior to that time.
Mayor Cantrell emphasized that she will not allow the demolition to take place at night, and reiterated that the safety of New Orleans residents is the number one priority.
Watch the full press conference from WGNO below.