NewsCovering Louisiana

Actions

Coast guard issues reminder for hurricane season preparedness

2020 atlantic hurricane season coast guard.jpg
Posted at 9:48 AM, Jun 01, 2020
and last updated 2020-06-01 10:48:56-04

With the start of the 2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season on June 1, the Coast Guard is reminding the public and mariners to be prepared.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's forecast this year calls for an above normal Atlantic season, and the Coast Guard says preparation is important to ensure safety should a storm come ashore in Louisiana.

"We highly recommend that you have a survival kit with items like batteries, flash lights, radios and water. It's also critical to pay close attention to weather both ashore and out at sea, and heed the messages and evacuation orders if issued by state and local authorities," said Rear Admiral John Nadeau, Commander of the Eighth Coast Guard District.

The Coast Gurad recommeds the following this hurricane season:

  • Prepare a kit: Ensure you and your family have a disaster kit ready to go in case of an emergency. For more information on items to include in a kit visit Ready.gov/kit
  • Get to know your surroundings: Know the elevation of your house and property. Hurricanes often bring storm surge, which is considered the greatest threat to property and life during any tropical storm. Know your communities' evacuation routes and how you would evacuate to higher ground. For more information on potential storm surge areas, click here.
  • Check the weather: The Coast Guard mobile app for boating safety is a tool to check marine weather from your phone. With the mobile app you can check the weather at nearby NOAA buoys, which provides wind speed and direction along with wave height. Checking weather anytime you plan to get underway and while throughout your time on the water is highly recommended.
  • Secure your boats: Review your hurricane plan with your local marina, ensure you have a plan to both bring your boat in and strap it down ashore or ensure it is properly equipped to ride out the storm at the marina.
  • Listen to local officials: If told to evacuate, do so immediately. You should consider evacuating if you live near bodies of water, a mobile home or high-rise building.

According to NOAA forecasters, the outlook predicts a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season and only a 10% chance of a below-normal season.

More information on hurricane preparedness can be found at Ready.Gov and NOAA websites.

For hurricane resources in Louisiana visit, http://gohsep.la.gov/

------------------------------------------------------------
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.

Download our free app for Apple, Android, Roku and Amazon devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers

Alexa's Daily Flash Briefing

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Instagram

Subscribe to our Youtube channel