NewsCovering Louisiana


Texas resort closed for testing; man died from amoeba after visiting

Posted at 11:43 AM, Sep 30, 2018
and last updated 2018-09-30 21:24:02-04

WACO, Texas (AP) – A surf resort in Central Texas has voluntarily closed pending test results into what is commonly referred to as a “brain-eating amoeba.”

The Waco Tribune-Herald reports Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is testing at BSR Cable Park’s Surf Resort, which voluntarily closed on Friday. The agency is testing for Naegleria (nee-GLEHR’-yah) fowleri (FOW’-lur-eye), colloquially known as a “brain-eating amoeba.”

It’s unclear if the park remained closed Sunday morning. BSR Cable Park owner Stuart E. Parsons Jr. says it will also continue to comply with requests related to the investigation of Fabrizio Stabile’s death. The 29-year-old man died in New Jersey earlier this month after falling ill with Naegleria fowleri. Parsons said Stabile had been in the wave pool.

The CDC says Naegleria fowleri is often found in warm freshwater.


Information from: Waco Tribune-Herald,

(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)