The Federal Emergency Management Agency has established a rumor control page for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).
According to FEMA, the purpose of the page is to help the public distinguish between rumors and facts regarding the response to COVID-19 pandemic.
FEMA states that citizens can do three things to verify information and dispel rumors:
- Don’t believe the rumors.
- Don’t pass them along.
- Go to trusted sources of information to get the facts about the federal COVID-19 response.
The site has several frequently asked questions it answers including:
- Are there any vaccines to prevent COVID-19?
- Is FEMA deploying the military?
- Is the government sending everyone money?
- Is there a national lockdown or quarantine?
FEMA encourages citizens to visit trusted sources of information like Coronavirus.gov and state and local government’s official websites or social media accounts for instructions and information specific to your community.