NewsLocal NewsIn Your Parish


Heat lamp in dog house causes house fire in Franklin

Posted at 3:58 PM, Nov 20, 2018
and last updated 2018-11-20 16:58:02-05

The Franklin Fire Department says a fire Tuesday morning is believed to have been caused by a heat lamp in a dog house.

Officials say they were called out to a fire on 106 Clay Street at around 12:18 am Tuesday morning.

Units were in the area for a medical call on Shepard Lane and arrived one minute later to find a large volume of fire coming from the rear of the residence, a release states.  The fire had spread to the outside walls and into the attic area.

Baldwin, Chitimacha and Centerville Fire Departments assisted.

Franklin Fire Department reports that the fire started in a dog house attached to a rear wall of the home. It is believed that the power cord for a heat lamp shorted out causing the fire.

The American Red Cross has been contacted for assistance.  No one was injured in the fire.

A map of the area is below: