UPDATE: A GoFundMe account has been started for the family whose home was destroyed in a fire Tuesday morning. If you would like to make a monetary donation, click here.
The Lafayette Fire Department has ruled a morning house fire in the 200 block of Harmony Street an accident.
The fire department says they received a report of the fire around 8:00 a.m. on Tuesday. When firefighters arrived, the home was fully engulfed in flames. The department says that all occupants of the home were outside when firefighters arrived.
The flames were brought under control quickly, according to the department, but the family home sustained heavy fire damage.
Firefighters say a family member arrived at the home and noticed the smoke that morning. He alerted four others who were asleep in the home at the time of the fire.
Officials say the fire blocked the family’s escape through the doors of the home, and they were forced to exit through a bedroom window.
The home’s four occupants, a father, mother, and two young children sustained minor injuries.
The fire was determined to have originated in the kitchen. An electrical failure with an outlet was the cause of the fire.
Investigators have ruled the fire an accident.
Below is a viewer-submitted video of this morning’s house fire.
(Video courtesy KATC viewer Heather Manrique)