The Governor’s Office of Disability Affairs handed out the Governor’s Outstanding Leadership in Disabilities (GOLD) Awards today, and several are coming home to Acadiana.
The presentation happened at 2 p.m. today at the Old State Capitol.
The GOLD Awards are presented annually to people and groups for their work with and for the disability community.
Acadiana residents were honored this year as Veteran of the Year, Employer of the Year and Elected Official of the Year, as well as the Ken Vince Memorial Award.
The recipients for the 2018 GOLD Awards are:
1. Distinguished Merit, Tabatha H. Taylor, Shreveport
2. Patsy Barrett Memorial, Mattie Wilson, Shreveport
3. Ken Vince Memorial, Harlon Cowsar II, Lafayette
4. Educator of the Year, Mary Breaud, Thibodaux
5. Youth of the Year, Hannah LaCour, Kenner
6. Family of the Year, The Hamilton Family, Baton Rouge
7. Volunteers of the Year, Ainsley’s Angels, Lake Charles
8. Employer of the Year, Hand Up Thrift, Lafayette
9. Direct Support Prof of Year, Roger Wells, Metairie
10. Veteran of the Year, Barry Guidry, Lafayette
11. Service Animal of the Year, Dementor “Moose” Finley, Baton Rouge
12. Elected Official of the Year, Mayor Joel Robideaux, Lafayette
13. Public Servant of the Year, Gina Rossi, Baton Rouge
14. Service Provider of the Year, Katrina Labouilere, Baton Rouge
To see our previous story about the awards, click here.