The Lafayette Police Department released rules and safety tips for Mardi Gras.
The following is prohibited along the parade route:
· No products that are manufactured for the purpose of being thrown against a hard surface or stepped on to make a popping noise such as: Snaps, Pops, cracker balls.
· No open flames heating or cooking devices on public right-of-ways
· No silly string
· No animals
· No skates, rollerblading, skateboarding or bicycling
· No whips
· No clothing or items depicting illegal narcotics nudity and/or profanity
· Stay behind all barricades during the parade
· Do not move, tamper, stand or sit on barricades
· All normal parking regulations apply during Mardi Gras parades
· Observe all special event parking signs along the parade route
· Do not throw anything at floats or float riders
· Do not climb trees
· Obey all laws pertaining to indecent exposure
· Do not leave children unattended
· Decide in advance on a meeting place in case anyone gets lost within your group
· Notify police of a missing child immediately
Remember to drink responsibly, designate a driver if you intend to drink.