News

Actions

FEMA mobile homes extended for Louisiana 2016 flooding

Posted: 1:47 PM, Jul 23, 2018
Updated: 2018-07-23 14:47:02-04

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) – Victims of the August 2016 flooding living in FEMA mobile homes won’t have to move out in August, as previously scheduled. Instead, they can stay in the temporary housing units until Jan. 15.
  
Gov. John Bel Edwards announced the Federal Emergency Management Agency approved his request for an extension of the manufactured housing units available. The Democratic governor’s office says FEMA says this will be the final extension granted to the flood victims.
  
About 600 families remain in the temporary housing nearly two years after the flood, down from about 4,500 households. Nearly all the manufacturing housing units are in Ascension, East Baton Rouge and Livingston parishes.
  
In a statement, Edwards said the temporary housing "remains necessary for many families as they continue to recover."