News

Actions

Zulus address allegations against King

Posted: 3:13 PM, Jul 09, 2018
Updated: 2018-07-09 16:13:18-04

Leaders of the Zulu Social Aid and Pleasure Club held a press conference today to address sexual harassment allegations against their recently-presented King Zulu 2019. 

Last week, the New Orleans media reported that a former employee of the club had filed suit against Naaman Stewart, 52, and the club last month. In the suit, which the club says they have not been served with yet, she accuses Stewart of groping her in a bathroom in 2015. 

At the press conference, newly-elected club President Elroy James said Zulu has not been served with the suit yet; he said the club learned of the former employee’s allegations from the media last week. He said once the club’s attorney has reviewed the suit the club will have a more formal statement on the allegation. 

"However, we can affirmatively say that we do not condone any inappropriate behaviors by our officers or any member of this organization," James said. "We continue to make every effort to provide a safe and enjoyable environment for our friends, visitors and membership. The Zulu Social Aid and Pleasure Club does not take this lightly. This unfortunate incident will be investigated by our organization, and it will be handled appropriately."

When asked by reporters about the status of Stewart as King, James said he would have no comment about that. 

The King of Zulu is elected by the membership of the club annually. He is announced, as Stewart was, at a party, usually in June.

Here’s today’s press conference, which WDSU in New Orleans was streaming live: