This weekend, a state sales tax discount will go into effect for hurricane preparedness supplies for the Louisiana Hurricane Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday.
The sales tax discount will be available to residents this weekend, Saturday, May 26 and Sunday, May 27.
Eligible purchases will be subject to only three percent sales tax instead of the full five percent. Items like flashlights, batteries, portable generators and other supplies will be eligible for the discount.
The state sales tax discount applies to the first $1,500 of the purchase price of each of the following items:
- Any portable self-powered light source, including candles, flashlights and other articles of property designed to provide light;
- Any portable self-powered radio, two-way radio, or weather band radio;
- Any tarpaulin or other flexible waterproof sheeting;
- Any ground anchor system or tie-down kit;
- Any gas or diesel fuel tank;
- Any package of AAA-cell, AA-cell, C-cell, D-cell, 6 volt, or 9-volt batteries, excluding automobile and boat batteries;
- Any cell phone battery and any cell phone charger;
- Any nonelectric food storage cooler;
- Any portable generator used to provide light or communications or preserve food in the event of a power outage;
- Any storm shutter device;
- Any carbon monoxide detector; and
- Any reusable freezer pack such as "blue ice."
The Department of Revenue says the discount applies to state sales tax only. Local sales tax amounts will be in effect unless the local taxing authority makes an exemption.
The Department says that the state sales tax will not apply to items sold by vendors located at any airport, public lodging establishment or hotel, entertainment .complex or convenience store.