WeatherTodays Forecast


Mild, showers into Saturday, winter-like temperatures return Sunday

Posted at 5:25 PM, Jan 17, 2020
and last updated 2020-01-17 23:33:18-05

Mild temperatures will stay with Acadiana for another 24 hours hours before a definitive change back to more winter-like/January temperatures return Sunday and stay for a good part of next week.

Expect milder temperatures for the area overnight into Saturday morning with temperatures hovering in the mid-60s.

Scattered showers will likely develop after midnight, with rain chances increasing to 40%.

As surface winds turn from the east-southeast to a more southerly component overnight, some patchy fog will also be possible, with more widespread fog an even better bet near the coast.

Saturday will be a mostly cloudy and rather mild day as temperatures top out in the mid-70s...or perhaps even a few degrees warmer if we manage to see a few intervals of afternoon sun.

Scattered showers will be the 30-40% range during the day, but the risk of shower and perhaps some thunderstorm activity will increase near and following a cold front into Saturday evening when rain chances increase to closer to 60%.

No heavy rainfall nor any severe weather is anticipated for the area with this front.

Breezy and sharply colder conditions will advance into the area overnight Saturday into Sunday with readings dropping into the low-mid 40s Sunday morning, accompanied by wind chills dropping into the mid-upper 30s!

After morning clouds Sunday, look for mostly sunny skies to return for the afternoon with highs only reaching the low to mid 50s.

More chilly conditions are expected early next week with a secondary surge of cold air moving in Monday under fair to partly cloudy skies.

Highs Monday will again top out no better than the mid 50s.

Temperatures Monday night into Tuesday morning should be the coldest of the week with a frost/light freeze still a good bet Tuesday morning as readings drop down into the lower 30s.

Mostly sunny and chilly conditions will continue Tuesday with highs hard-pressed to reach the lower 50s.

It will be chilly again Tuesday night with lows expected to be in the mid 30s, but depending in the onset of high clouds temperatures will range across the Acadiana area could be from the lower to the higher 30s...a frost is not out of the question again Tuesday night into Wednesday morning.

High clouds will continue to increase Wednesday ahead of our next weather-maker that arrives late Thursday into Friday.

While there continues to be model discrepancy, it does appear that rain and embedded storms will become most likely into late Thursday ending early Friday.

This system "bears watch" as it could bring the threat of locally heavy rains and perhaps a low end severe weather threat to the area.

For now, the following weekend looks pretty quiet with partly cloudy skies and seasonable temperatures anticipated.

See the exclusive KATC 10 Day Forecast for the very latest.