WeatherHurricane Center


Storms return, take edge off heat; cool front in our future?

Posted at 5:46 PM, Sep 19, 2018
and last updated 2018-09-19 23:36:25-04

The chances of scattered showers and thunderstorms will improve for the rest of the week and into the weekend, helping to take the edge off of Acadiana’s recent heat wave.

Look for rain chances to increase into the 30-40% range of the next couple of days, with daytime rain chances increasing to 60% this weekend.

Temperatures will top out closer to the low-mid 90s Thursday with additional cloud cover and rain chances, and likely closer to 90 Friday.

Highs this weekend may stay closer to the mid-upper 80s with the better chances of showers and storms.

No severe weather or any flooding is expected with the higher rain chances into this weekend, but with that being said, per usual, some storms will produce frequent lightning, locally gusty winds and brief torrential downpours.

Better than normal rain chances will likely continue much of next week, but as the models have been consistently advertising, it appears that our first fall cool front may arrive by the latter part of the week, possibly setting up for some stellar and cooler weather by Friday (Sept 28) into the following weekend.

Timing and the extent of the cool air literally remains up in the air, but we could see highs in the mid-upper 70s and lows in the lower 60s, possibly upper 50s for a day or two, following the front…fingers crossed!

But as always, in September or early October, do not expect the cool air to last.

Meanwhile in the tropics, there ar no major suspect areas at this time, but there are hints that activity could be back on the upswing for portions of the Atlantic Basin, possibly the Northwestern Caribbean, moving into the first days of October.