Weather

Actions

Dangers of scolding hot water in garden hoses

Posted: 3:40 PM, Jun 06, 2018
Updated: 2018-06-06 16:40:43-04

A big story going around social media is the post of a baby with second degrees burns caused by scolding, hot water from a garden hose.

The incident actually happened a few years ago in Arizona but Las Vegas Fire Rescue recently re-posted the photo to remind people of the danger as we move into the hot summer months.

Captain Kris Gumpert with the Scott Fire Department set a hose out in sun and after just 35 minutes the temperature inside the hose was already up to 130°.

So, it is very easy for the water inside a garden hose left out in the hot, Acadiana sun all day to reach temperatures between 130-140°, which is hot enough to cause burns or blisters.

And even a hose that is rolled up next to your house in the shade can still get very hot because the rubber is a great insulator of heat.

To prevent hot water from harming anyone Captain Gumpert recommends "you make sure the water drains out when you are done and you let it bleed out."

But the best way to ensure that no water gets left in the hose is to unscrew the hose from the wall and then let gravity drain out all the water as you roll up the hose.

And finally before you use the hose again Gumpert says "let the water run for a few minutes, let that water from the ground at an 80 degree temperature or 85 degree temperature, let it start cooling off and it can take up to a minute or 2 before that hot water escapes the hose."