The Louisiana Department of Education says that comprehensive resources have been developed to support students with disabilities during modified operations caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The resources, developed alongside teachers, special education leaders, family support centers, the special education advisory panel and the National Center for Educational Outcomes, reflect the latest research and meets the needs of Louisiana's students with disabilities, according to LDOE.
"School may look different this year, but our commitment to families and students remains steadfast," said State Superintendent of Education Dr. Cade Brumley. "These resources will guide educators and families as they work to serve our students who need their support the most."
"The Council appreciates the responsiveness of the Louisiana Department of Education in producing guidance materials for schools related to serving students with disabilities during the COVID-19 pandemic," said Louisiana Developmental Disabilities Council Chair Randall Brown. "The leadership demonstrated in offering this guidance reflects a commitment to ensure all students receive the education and related services they need."
LDOE says that the new set of resources includes guidance for families, educators and direct service providers.
- The Strong Start 2020 Family Toolbox for Students with Disabilities offers families concrete ways to support their child's learning.
- The Strong Start 2020 Reopening Guidance for Special Education Leaders helps systems and educators prepare for a successful reopening that meets the needs of students with disabilities.
- The Strong Start 2020 Reopening Guidance for Direct Service Providers includes resources to help direct service providers ensure students continue to receive special education and related services during traditional or modified operations.
The additions will also build on a comprehensive suite of resources to assist educators as they serve students with disabilities and their families.
- Strong Start Compensatory Services Guidance helps schools deliver services to students with disabilities who lost learning during school closures. Parents can use this resource to understand options available to schools in delivering these services.
- Accessibility and accommodations resources guide schools in providing high-quality instruction in hybrid and distance learning settings.
- Students with significant disabilities guidance aids schools in serving children with complex needs during modified operations.
- Privacy guidance offers insight to educators and families on ensuring student privacy during virtual small group instruction for students with disabilities.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers