Numerous food pantries and distribution sites have been popping up around Acadiana over the last several weeks. While those sites are often temporary, several organizations have and continued to provide services to those needing food assistance. KATC will provide more information on locations and specific food distribution sites as they become available at KATC.com/Food.
We found the BEST thing to do first is call 211. Representatives will ask where you are, and your zip code, then tell you a specific food bank or church that is giving away food, plus the days and hours they are open. This will always be the most accurate and up-to-date because our list will constantly be changing.
Current food distribution plans:
Dates and times will be updated weekly in this list.
Three O'Clock Project schedule, by the United Way of Acadiana:
For a complete list of up-to-date distribution locations, dates and times for parishes in Acadiana, click here.
- The Three O'Clock Project is offering free meals (Only for those 18 and under). The child must be present, or you must fill out a form. For locations, dates and times, click here
- Solomon House is offering a no-contact grocery drive-thru Tuesdays until further notice from 9 - 11 a.m. at 520 Center St., New Iberia. No income information is needed. For more details, call 337-364-7798.
- The Three O'clock Project will distribute free meals to any child 18 and under weekly. For locations and times, click here.
Jeff Davis Parish:
The ASSIST Agency's Jeff Davis Summer Feeding Program Meal Distribution will resume the regular schedule on Monday, June 29, 2020. Meals will be distributed every Monday and Tuesday until July 28, 2020. All sites will distribute meals between 11:00 am and 1:00 pm. On Mondays, the sites are Jennings Elementary, Welsh Elementary, and Lake Arthur Elementary. On Tuesdays, the sites are Fenton Elementary and Elton High. Contact the ASSIST Agency if you have any questions at 337-788-7551 ext 138.
True Vine Food Pantry located at 1555 W. Willow St., in Scott offers food to community members in Lafayette, Carencro and Scott the 3rd week of each month: Monday from 2 - 3:45 p.m.; Tuesday and Thursday from 3 - 5:45 p.m. First time visitors are asked to bring a valid ID, proof of residency and proof of income. For more details, call 337-534-8656. This will go on until further notice.
Riverside Church of Christ, located at 200 Southcity Parkway in Lafayette, is offering grocery assistance to families in need with a drive thru where they can pick up a bag of groceries from their food pantry Mondays from 12 - 3 p.m. This will go on until further notice.
Grab & Go Three O'clock Project, in partnership with Boys & Girls Clubs of Acadiana and United Way of Acadiana, is providing meal boxes to children younger than 18. For dates, times and locations click here.
Each location will provide seven breakfasts and seven lunches worth of frozen meals. Meals will be distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis. Starting June 1, children will have to be present to receive meals. If a child is not or cannot be present with a parent or guardian, they will be required to submit a form stating the child(s) name, address and phone number they can be reached - every time they pick up meals without a child this form will be required. Again, if children are present, no form is needed.
St. Landry Parish:
- The 3 o'clock project to distribute free meals weekly to children 18 and under. Children must be present. If they can't be present, a form must be filled out. For locations, dates and times click here.
- Thensted Outreach Center will begin a Summer Food Service Program starting on May 11 through July 24. They will distribute breakfast and lunches to children Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. at 268 Church Street in Grand Coteau.
St. Martin Parish:
Grab and Go meals will be available this summer for children in St. Martin Parish. Meals will include 5 breakfast and 5 lunch meals to be distributed once per week for 9 weeks. All children age 18 years and under are eligible to receive meals. Pick up times each week will be from 10:30 am until 1:00 pm at the following locations: Breaux Bridge Primary, Catahoula Elementary, Cecilia Jr. High, Parks Old City Hall Drive Thru, St. Martinville Sr. High School. Meal pick-up began on Friday, May 29 and continue each week on the following dates:
Week 8: Thursday, July 16
Week 9: Thursday, July 23
As of May 13, the Catholic Charities Food for Seniors commodity program will resume for existing St. Martin Parish. The distributions will resume on their regular days, at the regular times, in the usual locations in St. Martin Parish, a spokesman said. Clients must complete an application process to participate; this distribution is only for those clients who were participating before the distributions were temporarily suspended because of the stay-at-home order, the spokesman said. For information on how to apply, click here.
St. Mary Parish:
SECOND HARVEST FOOD BANK FOOD PANTRY LOCATIONS:
West St. Mary Civic Center
1497 Hwy 318
W 2:00pm-4:00pm, May 20th
POC Mr. Matthews (337)510-2851
Communities United for Change
1244 Big Four Corners Rd,
W 5:30pm - 9:00pm
Sa 9:00am - 12:00pm
Little Zion Community Outreach
7814 Hwy 182, Franklin
M/Tu/Th 9:00am - 10:00am
W 11:00am - 3:00pm
Pilgrim Grove Baptist Church
1110 Grace St, Morgan City
M/W/F 10:30am - 11:59am
Spirit of Liberty
1015 Willow Street, Franklin
Tu/Th 9:00am - 2:00pm
Yaweh Word of Faith
948 Chitamachi Trail, Baldwin
F, May 15th
POC: Bishop Davis (985)498-0945
Each school board in every parish also has their own guidance when it comes to getting food for children because they are all working with different agencies which require different deadlines. You'll have to register with the agencies; we've provided a link to each system's website below.
Acadia Parish School Board
- Will participate in the Emergency-Meals-To-You partnership with Baylor University
Evangeline Parish School Board
- Participating in the Meals-to-You program
Iberia Parish School Board
- Participating in the Healthy School Food Collaborative which delivers free meals for a week at a time
Jeff Davis Parish School Board
- Is announcing updates on a week-by-week basis. Distribution for this week was on 4/20/2020.
Lafayette Parish School Board
- They will be participating in the Meals-To-You program with Baylor University.
St. Landry Parish School Board
- Will be partnering with the Healthy School Food Collaborative beginning on 4/20
St. Martin Parish School Board
- Participating in the Meals-to-You program with Baylor University
Vermilion Parish School Board
- Providing food through VPSB meal program. Those who missed the deadline or don't qualify can contact Christian Service Center, and meals will be delivered to you. Click HERE for their form.
Second Harvest Food Bank: To apply for assistance, you can call toll-free Monday- through Friday, 8am to 7pm: 1-855-392-9338.
Catholic Charities of Acadiana is also offering support to those who may need assistance, through work with local organizations. To learn more about services offered, click here. Their number is 337-235-4972.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers