On Friday, July 31, Cajun Field was the site of a food distribution effort held in partnership with UL Lafayette, Second Harvest Food Bank and the United Way of Acadiana.
Friday's event was the fifth food distribution event to take place at the site which has operated as a COVID-19 testing location since July 10.
The event, according to UL Lafayette, distributed enough food for between 1,000 and 1,300 families.
Director of Community Impact for United Way, Elsa Dimitriadis, said of the distribution events, "So many people are suffering and either they've had the virus, people in their family have had the virus, or there's been some sort of job issue that's caused people to have food instability. We're really doing what we can to fill that gap as much as possible."
COVID-19 testing at Cajun Field will not take place on Friday, and will resume on Saturday, August 1, and continue through Wednesday, August 5.
The free testing takes place on those days from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
- No ID is needed for testing, but registration is required.
- Pre-registration can be completed at www.DoINeedaCOVID19test.com. Under test locations, click “Louisiana” then Cajun Field (Mobile #3).
- People will be allowed to register at the site, but can expect longer waits.
- Testing will be available for any Louisiana resident who is at least 5 years old. Guardians must accompany anyone under 16.
- People must provide a phone number and email address to be tested.
People who visit the site should wear masks. Those being tested will perform nasal swabs on themselves as they wait in their vehicles. The process will be observed to ensure it is done correctly. Sealed samples will be dropped in a container.
- Results will be emailed, and posted online at www.DoINeedaCOVID19test.com.
- It is expected to take three to five days to get test results.
- People who test positive will also be contacted by phone. There is no phone number for people to call to get their results.
Motorists should enter the Cajun Field parking lot via West Congress Street through Gate 3. Only right turns into the lot by motorists approaching from the west will be allowed for traffic safety considerations. Once testing is complete, they will exit on Reinhardt Drive onto Bertrand Drive through Gate 1.
For more information about COVID-19 testing, contact the LDH Region 4 Office of Public Health at (337) 262-5311.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers