NewsWinter Weather Tips


Family urges caution after losing relatives to fire caused by space heater

Posted at 10:26 PM, Feb 12, 2021
and last updated 2021-02-12 23:26:42-05

Firefighters are urging people to use caution while using space heaters as the temperature drops across Acadiana.

A family from St. Martinville is hoping their recent tragedy might save lives.

Lawrence Sam won't forget the early morning hours of December 7th, 2020, when he noticed flames coming from a family member's home next door.

"I come on the porch and holler at my other son, Wyndall, 'Come see! Come see! Go help over there!" Sam said.

Killed in the fire was Sam's aunt Mazel and cousin Gregory.

"She couldn't see Christmas. He couldn't see Christmas," Sam added. "It was a sad thing to see."

According to the State Fire Marshal's Office, an unattended space heater was likely to blame. The National Fire Protection Association reports that 81 percent of fire deaths from 2014-2018 were caused by space heaters.

One of the most important things you can do to keep your family safe is to only plug your space heater directly into a wall outlet - never a power strip.

Turn space heaters off before you leave the room and before you go to bed. Also keep flammable items at least three feet away.

As the temperatures drop in Acadiana, Sam hopes his family's story can save lives.

"It's something when a loved one gets caught up in something like that."

Find more information and safety tips from the National Fire Protection Association here.

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Instagram

Subscribe to our Youtube channel