The power is back on in St. Martinville but gas has not been restored to residents after the leak.
According to the St. Martinville Police Department spokesperson Adam Touchet, as of 1:30 p.m. power was restored to residents. Earlier on Thursday, the City of St. Martinville lost power due to a downed power line that sparked the gas line fire.
The incident happened around Bridge and Resweber, south side of the bayou. The road was closed from the intersection of Bridge Street and W. Webber to Bridge and Cemetery.
St. Martinville Police say that the gas leak involved two gas lines from Centerpoint Energy. One of those is back in working order but a second is still out. The fire department decided to let the gas fire burn out, Touchet stated. The gas line had a slow leak that authorities were unaware of
Resident who are customers with Centerpoint are asked to not relight their pilot lights. Crews from Centerpoint will be going door-to-door to relight pilot lights for their customers.
As of 3:00 pm the fire that sparked because of the downed power line was still burning, according to Touchet
Multiple agencies were on the scene including firefighters, police, public works and the gas company.