NewsSt. Martin Parish

Actions

Elderly man dies in generator fire; could be first Delta-related death

Posted at 11:39 AM, Oct 11, 2020
and last updated 2020-10-11 13:01:32-04

ST. MARTINVILLE, La. — An 86-year-old man died last night when his generator caught on fire.

State Fire Marshal deputies are investigating the St. Martinville fire, which was reported to the Cade Volunteer Fire Department at about 10:45 p.m. Saturday.

Deputies say they found the man's body in a large shed on his property.

So far, investigators have learned the homeowner had a running generator placed in the shed. When he discovered it was out of fuel, it is believed he refueled the equipment while still hot. Shortly after refueling, the shed was discovered on fire.

It is believed the homeowner went into the shed in an attempt to put out the fire, but never made it out.

More information will be released as it becomes available, deputies say.

Generator safety has been emphasized by the SFM since Hurricane Laura a few weeks ago; nine of the deaths attributed to Laura were related to generators.

Here are some generator safety tips from the SFM:
DON’T place a generator inside of ANY structure
DON’T place a generator near open doors and/windows (20 ft away from the home is ideal)
DON’T refuel a generator when hot

------------------------------------------------------------
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.

Download our free app for Apple, Android, Roku and Amazon devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers

Alexa's Daily Flash Briefing

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Instagram

Subscribe to our Youtube channel