OPELOUSAS, La. — Last week, we reported that the St. Landry Parish School Board approved a motion to provide a Christmas stipend of $600 for full-time employees and $250 for part-time employees during its Thursday meeting.
Willie Singleton-Guillory with the St. Landry Parish Federation of Teachers and Employees told us that board members considered a substitute motion that would have given $1,000 for full-time teachers and $500 for paraprofessionals and other employees, but was ultimately shot down by the board.
In that story, we reported that board members Hazel Sias, Alvin Hayes, Myron Guillory and Milton Ambers voted in favor of the bonuses. That was unclear. Those four board members voted in favor of the $1,000 bonus, not the $600 bonus that eventually was approved.
MINUTES FROM BOARD DOCS:
Here's what the board's website, which contains minutes from the meeting, states:
Motion to approve a Christmas stipend of $600.00 for full-time employees and $250.00 for part-time employees.
Motion by Raymond Cassimere, second by Denise Rose.
Final Resolution: Motion Carries
Yea: Denise Rose, Josh Boudreaux, Joyce Haynes, Kyle Boss, Mary Donatto, Randy Wagley, Raymond Cassimere
Nay: Albert Hayes, Hazel Sias, Milton Ambres, Myron Guillory
Abstain: Donnie Perron
STATEMENT FROM HAZEL SIAS:
Here's what Sias sent us this morning:
In the story, KATC stated that “Board members Hazel Sias, Alvin Hayes, Myron Guillory and Milton Ambres voted in favor of the bonuses.” This statement is inaccurate.
Below are clarifications and corrections to the KATC story released on November 5, 2020:
· The original recommendation made by the St Landry Parish School Board was that employee bonuses be increased from $500 to $600.
· Board member Alvin Hayes made a substitute motion to give full time employees a bonus of $1,000 by utilizing unused funding budgeted for teacher evaluation.
· On November 5, 2020, the substitute motion made by Board member Alvin Hayes to give $ 1,000 bonus to full time employees was voted down by the majority of the St Landry Parish School Board in favor of the original $600 employee bonus.
· Board members Raymond Cassmiere, Mary Ellen Donatto, Kyle Boss, Joyce Haynes, Randy Wagley, Denise Rose, Donnie Perron, and Josh Boudreaux voted against the $1,000 employee bonus in favor of $600 employee bonus.
· Board members Hazel Sias, Alvin Hayes, Myron Guillory and Milton Ambres voted against the $600 bonus in favor of the $1,000 employee bonus.
· Board member Anthony Standberry was not present at the November 5, 2020 meeting.
Last week when she spoke with us, Singleton-Guillory said that the federation wanted to thank board members for approving the bonuses and supporting teachers during the pandemic.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers