PORT BARRE, La. — A Port Barre family is recovering following a house fire over the weekend.
According to the family, they heard a loud noise early Sunday morning. At first, they thought it was a garbage can falling over but they quickly discovered that was not the source.
"My neighbor looked outside and she sent me a message and she's like what's that noise? Are y'all okay? And she saw fire", said Fay Robin who was in the trailer on Beaxis Drive with her three grandchildren and 70-year-old mother.
A small camping trailer next to her mobile home had caught fire after a malfunction in the electrical box. Robin's grandmother usually stays in the camper but she was staying in the adjacent mobile home, just feet away from the burning camper.
Everything in the camper was destroyed, the flames burning so hot that it melted windows on a neighboring home and caused significant damage to Robin's trailer.
"I have some damage, I have some damage but I could have lost the whole thing you know? We could have died", Robin reflected.
All of the family members say they are alive today thanks to the quick reaction of the neighbor and Port Barre Firefighters.