The Opelousas City Court is issuing precautionary measures to keep the courthouse free of COVID-19.
Those who are feeling sick are asked to not enter the courthouse and to make other arrangements by calling 948-2570.
The Opelousas City Court has ordered, effective immediately, that the following persons will not be allowed to enter the building:
- Persons who have no matters needing attention within the court
- Persons who have been asked to self-quarantine by any doctor, hospital or health agency.
- Persons who have been diagnosed with, or have had contact with, anyone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19.
Those attempting to enter in violation of these protocols will be denied entry, according to the court.
Anyone with a scheduled appointment who is unable to appear because of the restrictions is asked to do the following:
- Contact your attorney, if you are represented by an attorney
- Call the Civil Deputy Clerk's Office at 948-2570 ext. 102 if you are an attorney or a pro se party
- Contact your Probation of JEU Officer at 948-2570 ext 103 if you are on probation or assigned to the Judicial Enforcement Unit.
- Contact the Juvenile Deputy Clerk at 948-2570 ext 109 if you have a juvenile, FINS, or Child In Need of Care matter.
For any matter not listed, the courts asks call your agency contact
Individuals are asked to cover their coughs and sneezes and not to maintain a distance of three feet from other individuals.
The Opelousas City Court says that these restrictions will remain in place until it is determined safe to remove them.
The court will remain open to the public to take civil filings and pay fines or fees. The public is encouraged, however, to conduct any future business online at opelousascitycourt.com or by calling 337-948-2570 ext 110.
The number for fax filing for civil cases is 337-948-2017.