NewsSt. Landry Parish

Actions

Home in Opelousas damaged in early morning fire

Posted at 9:45 AM, Jun 19, 2020
and last updated 2020-06-19 20:18:34-04

A house was damaged by fire early Friday morning in Opelousas.

Firefighters were called to the home on 103 Vita Lane off of Montgomery Road in Opelousas. The fire began around 1:00 a.m. on June 19, 2020.

The owner of the home was awoken by her grandchildren after they notice the fire. They were able to escape the house.

"My grandson woke me up," said homeowner Wendy Melancon. "And the fire had moved, actually moved to where we could see it. And we just got out, thank God for the neighbor."

Five people were inside the residence at the time of the fire. No injuries were reported.

The fire department says the fire is believed to have been started by an electrical malfunction

------------------------------------------------------------
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.

Download our free app for Apple, Android, Roku and Amazon devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers

Alexa's Daily Flash Briefing

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Instagram

Subscribe to our Youtube channel