NewsLocal NewsIn Your ParishSt. Landry Parish


Four injured in explosion in Krotz Springs during crawfish boil

Officials say leaking propane ignited fire, caused explosion
todd ave.PNG
Posted at 5:25 PM, May 08, 2021
and last updated 2021-05-08 23:32:17-04

Four people were injured in an explosion in a Krotz Springs residential neighborhood Saturday afternoon during a crawfish boil.

The incident occurred shortly before 4:30 p.m. on Todd Ave. Bellard said four individuals were airlifted to area hospitals with varying injuries, two to Lafayette, one to Baton Rouge, and one to Opelousas. According to Bellard, one person had burns on 30-40% of their body and another suffered internal damage. The extent of injuries is unknown, Bellard said.

Bellard says a propane tank was leaking inside of a shed, and a pot of crawfish was boiling right outside. When the shed was opened, the propane ignited and caused the explosion.

Scott Fire Chief Chad Sonnier posted on Facebook late Saturday night that two of the four people injured were St. Landry Parish District 1 firefighters, who were attending the crawfish boil while off-duty.

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Instagram

Subscribe to our Youtube channel