News

Actions

SFD: Space heater caused fire at Scott home

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 6:53 AM, Dec 01, 2020
and last updated 2020-12-01 15:54:28-05

SCOTT, LA — A Scott family’s home was severely damaged after it caught fire, possibly caused by a space heater.

The Scott Fire Department says the fire occurred early this morning at a home in the 100 block of La Rue Blanc.

Upon arrival, firefighters observed heavy smoke and fire emitting from a manufactured home.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the attic area which was brought under control and extinguished.

According to Chief Chad Sonnier, the cause of the fire was determined to be accidental, caused by an overloaded circuit as a result of an electric space heater.

All family members were able to escape unharmed.

Firefighters from Carencro, Duson and Lafayette responded to assist with extinguishment.

The Scott Fire Department is offering some tips on space heater safety on their Facebook page.