News

Actions

Pets killed, home destroyed from grease fire

Posted at 6:25 AM, Jul 29, 2019
and last updated 2019-07-29 18:52:03-04

SCOTT — A fire that started in the kitchen has left two pets dead.

It happened around 9 p.m. in the 200 block of Benman Road.
According to investigators, a resident was cooking dinner when grease from the pot ignited spreading to the cabinets. He attempted to extinguish the fire before calling 911.

When fire officials arrived at the home, heavy flames were coming from the windows. Fire officials say they were able to get the fire under control in eleven minutes.

The home owner was not injured but his dog and cat both died in the fire. Red Cross has been contacted.

Lafayette, Duson and Judice Fire Departments assisted the Scott Fire Department.