NewsNational News


Houston PD: Two dead, two hospitalized due to carbon monoxide poisoning

Heating home with vehicle in garage
Houston PD CO2 poisoning.jpg
Posted at 10:34 AM, Feb 16, 2021
and last updated 2021-02-16 11:34:54-05

The Houston Police Department says two people have died and two others hospitalized due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

HPD says that first responders were sent to a home in southwest Houston on a welfare check and found two adults and two children affected by carbon monoxide poisoning.

A woman and child did not survive while a man and a second child were taken to a hospital.

KTRK in Houston say the child that died was an 8-year-old girl, they did not further identify the child or woman who died. KTRK says the second child that was hospitalized was a 7-year-old boy. Read more here

Law enforcement say that a car was running in the attached garage to create heat is likely the cause of the poisoning. It is believed the family was using the car as a source of heat as the power was out at the time.

Police remind the public that cars, grills and generators should not be used in or near a building.

Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo said the incident is heartbreaking

"This is so heartbreaking. Please bundle up and be aware of the extreme danger carbon monoxide poses for us. Praying for this family," Acevedo wrote in a Tweet.

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Instagram

Subscribe to our Youtube channel