NewsLocal NewsLafayette Parish

Actions

No injuries reported in Thursday apartment fire

LFD: Improperly discarded cigarette led to fire
Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 11:41 PM, May 07, 2020
and last updated 2020-05-08 00:41:40-04

An improperly discarded cigarette led to a fire Thursday night at Peppertree Apartments in Lafayette.

Firefighters were called to the apartments on Robley Drive around 8:20 Thursday after the occupant of one apartment called 911 to report her patio was on fire.

Flames were spreading up the vinyl siding to an upstairs apartment as firefighters arrived, said LFD Spokesman Alton Trahan. 25 firefighters worked to stop the spread of the fire, and it was extinguished within ten minutes.

Damage was contained to the patio of the downstairs apartment, which was heavily damaged. The interior of the downstairs apartment suffered smoke and water damage. The upstairs apartment experienced only minor smoke damage, said Trahan.

The occupants of the apartment were able to slow the flames with a fire extinguisher until LFD arrived. The apartment where the fire started was the only unit where occupants were displaced. No injuries were reported.

Investigators determined the fire originated on the patio from an improperly discarded cigarette. The fire was ruled an accident.

------------------------------------------------------------
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.

Download our free app for Apple, Android, Roku and Amazon devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers

Alexa's Daily Flash Briefing

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Instagram

Subscribe to our Youtube channel